Innovation Networks Denmark
22 Danish Innovation Networks are ready to help companies find new partners among world class scientists, other companies and experts in Denmark as well as abroad.
What are the services of the Innovation Networks?
The Innovation Networks offer companies access to the latest research and innovation trends within their respective fields of expertise as well as provide inspiration on tendencies within new technology, product innovation and innovation methods.
The Innovation Networks can also assist in finding new partners for collaboration on both small or large scale research and innovation projects among private companies, researchers, the public sector, technological service providers and other partners – both in Denmark and abroad.
The Innovation Network INBIOM creates contacts in China for Danish biogas companies. See the case here:
The Innovation Networks each have their own technical or professional focus within areas such as cleantech, food, service, marketing, ICT, offshore, welfare technology, etc. Each network operates on a national level but the networks are located all over Denmark.
How can the Innovation Networks help companies?
The Innovation Networks can:
- Help develop ideas into new competitive products or services.
- Provide inputs and advise for solving problems with product development and innovation.
- Provide access to a comprehensive network of researchers from universities, technological service providers as well as other private companies.
- Provide overview of and contact to the public research and innovation promotion system.
- Provide specific professional resources so relieving companies of the burden to invest in manpower or the latest technological knowledge themselves.
- Be a stepping stone for an internationalisation of companies.
What do the Innovation Networks do?
The Innovation Networks have a multitude of skills and activities. These include:
- Matchmaking and creating collaboration between companies, researchers, the public sector, technological service providers and other partners.
- Initiating specific development projects within the relevant professional field of the network.
- Arranging conferences, seminars and workshops on themes of interest for the members of the network.
- Helping with fundraising and with the preparation of applications for funding etc.
- Publishing newsletters and other types of information about trends, research results, etc.
- Arranging export promotions and study trips for Danish companies.
Who can participate in the Innovation Networks?
The Innovation Networks are open to all interested companies in Denmark. In some of the networks there is a membership fee while participation is free of charge in other networks. You can find more information on how to sign up on the individual web pages of each Innovation Network.
How are the Innovation Networks financed?
Companies have to finance their own participation in the Innovation Networks’ activities. The man hours used in the companies have to be registered and are concluded in the total budget of the relevant network.
The Ministry of Higher Education and Science finances up to half of the Innovation Network activities.
The funding that the Innovation Networks receive from the Ministry of Higher Education and Science is used for the professional operation of a network secretariat, facilitating matchmaking activities as well as running specific collaboration projects within e.g. research, education, knowledge dissemination. The networks have to obtain the other half of the funding from private companies, regional funds, etc.
Many companies have already used the Innovation Networks
Almost 4.000 companies participated in Innovation Network activities in 2009. More than 800 companies have participated in specific collaboration projects with public knowledge institutions in 2009.
As a result of these activities, 300 companies have developed new products, 750 have developed new competences and 550 have been getting new ideas for innovation.
- Read more about the results of the Innovation Networks in the “Performance Accounts 2011”
- Leaflet on Innovation Networks (PDF)
The participating companies estimate that their participation in Innovation Networks has resulted in an increased turnover of approximately € 146 million.
What are the objectives of the Innovation Networks?
- To strengthen public-private collaboration and knowledge transfer between public universities and private companies on research and innovation.
- To strengthen innovation and research in Danish companies and thus promote knowledge-based growth in business and industry.
Smart Clusters and Smart Specialisation
Among other things the European Commission’s Europe 2020 strategy places a strong emphasis on smart specialisation in the regions of Europe. An important instrument in achieving this goal is the development of viable Clusters and Innovation Networks, which can contribute to structural adjustments in Europe and thus lead to innovation, growth and employment.