Complaints procedures

Read about the possibilities of appealing against various types of recognition decisions.

Admission to Danish study programmes

As far as the legal aspects are concerned, applicants who have been refused admission can appeal to the responsible authority:

  • Bachelor's and master's degree programmes at universities: Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education;
  • Academy profession programmes and professional bachelor's programmes: Ministry of Higher Education and Science;
  • Programmes of schools of visual arts and the academies of music etc.: Ministry of Culture.

Appeals must be submitted to the educational institution within two weeks of receiving the decision. The institution sends the appeal to the authority enclosing its own opinion and any comments from the complainant.

Credit transfer

Holders of foreign qualifications may bring educational institutions' credit transfer decisions, i.e. decisions on exemption from parts of a Danish educational programme, before a special appeals committee, the Qualifications Board. The Board was established following the amendments to the Assessment of foreign qualifications act, which entered into force on 1 July 2002. See:

This establishes a right to complain about the content of the credit transfer decision itself, i.e. about how much or how little credit the educational institution is willing to give to the holder of foreign qualifications.

The complaint must be filed via the educational institution. The decision of the Qualifications Board is the final and conclusive administrative decision. The Qualifications Board is an independent body supported by a secretariat within the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education.

In 2007, new legislation confirmed the operation of the complaints board and expanded its jurisdiction.

Assessments by the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education

Complaints about assessments made by the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education cannot be filed with the Minister for Science, Innovation and Higher Education or any other authority. This is stated in the Act on assessment of foreign qualifications – see:

However, the agency will consider all communications that it receives and may choose to make a new assessment, for example if new information is presented that changes the basis for an assessment.

Recognition of professional qualifications – regulated professions

The possibilities of complaining depend on the relevant legislation. You can find information about the legislation and any board of complaint under each regulated profession:

last modified Jan 05, 2017