Applications under EU rules

Find out how to gain access to a regulated profession in Denmark under EU rules.

If you wish to pursue your profession on a permanent basis in Denmark you must apply for authorisation or similar recognition by the competent public authority. This page explains how to apply.

Temporary service provider

If you only wish to work on a temporary basis in Denmark there is a quicker procedure where, as a rule, you only need to submit a declaration.

European Professional Card

The European Professional Card (EPC) is an electronic procedure you can use to have your professional qualifications recognised in another EU/EEA country.

The EPC is available for these professions:

  • Mountain Guides
  • Nurses Responsible for General Care
  • Pharmacists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Real Estate Agents

You can apply for an EPC if you want to get access to pursue your profession permanently, but also if you want to provide temporary services.

How to apply for professional recognition

According to the standard procedure you should send your application to the Danish competent authority enclosing documentation of your qualifications etc.

By selecting your profession on our list you will find the competent authority and application instructions that apply to you:

How long does it take?

The competent authority must reach a decision on your application within three months of receipt of the application itself and any supporting documentation required. In special cases however, this deadline may be extended by one month.

What does the application lead to?

The competent authority's decision regarding your application may be positive, conditional or negative.

  • Positive decision
    You will gain full access to pursuing your profession on the same terms applying to Danish nationals. The decision contains information on the profession you have been permitted to pursue, and in certain cases, how long this right applies, including when you have to renew your authorisation certificate.
  • Conditional decision
    You can gain full access to pursuing your profession when you have proved that you are fully qualified for the pursuit of your profession in Denmark. You can do this by means of an aptitude test or an adaptation period stipulated by the competent authority. You will be given a choice between an aptitude test and an adaptation period. Exempt from this right are only persons applying for qualification as lawyer and certain auditors. The decision must be reasoned and specify the procedure to be followed for lodging an appeal.
  • Negative decision
    You are not granted access to the profession in Denmark. The decision must be reasoned and specify the procedure to be followed for lodging an appeal.


Professional Recognition Directive

The rules in place have recently been updated. Download the consolidated directive text:

See also:

Automatic recognition for certain professions

There is a system of automatic recognition of professional qualifications for seven so-called sectoral professions: nurses, midwives, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, architects and veterinary surgeons.

For a list of qualifications which entitle you to automatic recognition, see Annex V of the Professional Recognition Directive:

Any other questions?

If you have any questions, you can call the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education, (+45) 7231 8700, or send us an e-mail at .

You can also contact us if you experience problems with the recognition of your qualifications. As a contact point the agency can provide further information and assistance.

last modified Jun 19, 2019