Admission to Danish higher education for holders of foreign qualifications

On this page you will find general information about the possibilities of enrolling in a programme of higher education in Denmark on the basis of a foreign entry qualification.

You can apply for admission to a higher education programme if you fulfil three types of requirements:

  • General entry requirements
  • Specific entry requirements
  • Language requirements

General entry requirements

Your foreign certificate must be on a level with a Danish upper secondary school leaving certificate. For admission to a an Academy Profession degree programme (short-cycle professional higher education) it may be sufficient that your foreign certificate is on a level with a relevant Danish vocational qualification.

For upper secondary certificates from some countries, entry to Danish higher education requires that you complete one year (or, in certain cases two years) of higher education or equivalent supplementary studies in addition to the certificate.


If that doesn't answer your question

If the information that you want is not available on the page linked to above, you can ask the educational institution where you wish to apply or the Danish Agency for Higher Education. If necessary, the Agency can make an assessment of the level of your qualification - see:

Specific entry requirements

Like applicants with Danish qualifications, you must meet the specific entry requirements that apply to the individual study programme. Specific requirements typically include the level of the subjects passed, marks (grades) obtained in individual subjects and the overall average of marks (grade point average).

You are advised to ask the educational institution where you wish to apply whether you fulfil the specific entry requirements.

The educational institution may require you to take supplementary courses – see the box below about supplementary courses.

Language requirements

Requirements concerning your Danish or English proficiency may apply. For programmes taught in Danish, you must be able to document sufficient oral and written proficiency in Danish. You must meet such requirements by the beginning of the study programme.


If the programme is taught in Danish you must be proficient in Danish, both oral and in writing.

Most programmes of higher education require that you have passed the Study Test in Danish as a Second Language (Studieprøven i dansk som andetsprog) or present proof of equivalent Danish proficiency. The educational institution may require that specific parts of the Study Test be passed with certain minimum marks (grades).

To see the specific language requirements please visit the institution's website.

Nordic students

If you are a student from one of the Nordic countries you are normally not required to take a Danish test if you studied Danish, Norwegian or Swedish as part of your entry qualification. It depends on the rules laid down by the institution.

Language tuition

If you need Danish language tuition you can find links at Denmark's official website:


If the programme is taught in English you must submit proof of English proficiency equivalent at least to English B level in Denmark. Educational institutions may in some cases require that you take a supplementary test in English.

If you do not have English proficiency at least at B level the educational institution may decide that you must pass a special test in English instead.

Application for admission

If you wish to enroll in a programme of higher education you must apply via the admissions portal, except for Master's programmes and adult higher education (see below).

The deadline for applications to most higher education programmes is 15 March, 12:00 noon. However, the deadline may be different if you are applying to enter an English-language bachelor's programme and to be granted a residence permit for that. If that is the case, please ask the university for information about the deadline.

Master's and adult higher education programmes

If you wish to apply for admission to a Master's (candidatus) programme or an adult education programme (VVU, Diploma or Master degree), please contact the educational institution directly.

A guidance counsellor at the institution or faculty can help you find out whether your educational background is relevant to the programme that you want to study.

Find out about the entry requirements for the programme that interest you:

Supplementary courses

If you do not meet the entry requirements that apply to the programme that you wish to study, you must supplement your entry qualification.

The supplementary courses must be completed before the start of the study programme or shortly after the start of the study programme depending on the rules of the educational institution.

You must find out which educational institutions offer the courses that you need to take and enroll in these courses.

Supplementary courses can be taken at:

  • higher preparatory (HF) courses

  • adult education centres (VUC)

  • upper secondary schools

  • schools offering two-year upper secondary school leaving certificates (studenterkursus)

  • vocational and technical schools

  • the access course of the study programmes in engineering.

Learn more about your possibilities:


The level of your qualification

See also:       
last modified Jun 29, 2016