Translation of documents

The Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education requires translation of certain documents. This page explains which translations are accepted.

Documents in Norwegian, Swedish, English, French, German, and Spanish require no translation. Documents in any other language must be translated into Danish or one of the above-mentioned languages.

When applying for an assessment, you are responsible for finding a translator.


The translation of diplomas/certificates and transcripts must be made by or approved by one of the following:

  • a translator holding a Danish translator and interpreter’s diploma (translatøreksamen)

  • the embassy or consulate of the country where the original document was issued or where the translation was made

  • a Danish consulate/embassy

  • the institution that issued the document.

Depending on a case-by-case assessment of the documents, we usually accept the following translations:

  • Translations made by a translator who has previously been used by Danish legal system or other Danish public authorities, i.e. registered police interpreters or translators working for on a regular basis for a municipal administration or other public authority which thereby takes responsibility for the translator and his/her work

  • The interpreter service of the Danish Refugee Council
  • Legalised translations

  • Notary-stamped translations. See examples from:

  • From China: original ”credential report” in English, which serves both as translation and as certificate of authenticity:

Finally, if none of the above-mentioned possibilities apply, we deal with the following eventualities on a case-by-case basis. Please call us first to discuss your situation with a credential evaluator.

  • If Denmark has no representation in the country of education and none of the above-mentioned possibilities apply: Original translations stamped by the embassy or consulate of another EU/EEA country.

  • If the country of education has no representation in Denmark and none of the above-mentioned possibilities apply: Original translations stamped by the embassy/consulate of the country of education in another EU/EEA country, stating explicitly that the embassy/consulate has verified the identity of the translator and the content of the translation.

In some cases, other translations may be acceptable. You can call us and talk to a credential evaluator specialised in qualifications from the country in question in order to find out whether it is possible to submit a translation not covered by the rules mentioned above.


See also:

last modified May 03, 2019