Gå til indhold

Questions and answers to students

On this page the Ministry of Higher Education and Science will regularly update information that can been relevant for students in relation to the situation with COVID-19.

NEW 23 October 2020

The government has decided to extend the current COVID-19 measures, and in addition to introduce a number of new COVID-19 measures to minimise the risk of a further spread of infection.

The new guidelines come into force on From Thursday, October 29, 2020 a requirement that all students at higher education institutions must wear a mask when moving around within the educational institution will come into force.

It is also recommended that study trips and events, the purpose of which is primarily social, should be cancelled.

For the latest information, please visit the Danish authories’ common website about COVID-19/Coronavirus:

View Q&A about

Second phase of the reopening

How do I know if my education is part of the second phase of the reopening and should I attend lessons physically from 18 May? NEW question 13 May

Each individual educational institution will decide what courses of study, which students, staff and researchers will require in-person attendance. This could, for example, be a matter of:   access to facilities that simulate real life events for

  • student nurses;
  • workshop training for marine engineers, plumbers and engineers;
  • access to physics laboratories for student teachers;
  • access to laboratories for students of the natural sciences; and,
  • access to advanced technology for students following IT and technical courses.

First phase of the reopening
Teachng and study activity

Which students are affected by the reopening? (Updated 10 May 2020)

Higher education programmes will remain physically closed due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The Government has decided to reopen seven health science programmes.

In choosing which students are affected, consideration was given to whether the programmes provide students with competences that are critical for the health sector, and that it is also crucial that they attend in person to complete their education this summer.

Finally, consideration was given to whether this can be managed safely in line with the current recommendations from the authorities.

Students affected by the reopening will be contacted by their educational institution 

What should I do if I am a student on a health science programme? NEW question 6 April 2020

If you are affected by the reopening, you will be contacted by your educational institution.

When will parts of health science programmes reopen? UPDATE 13 April 2020

From 15 April, seven health science programnmes can begin a controlled reopening for final semester students.

Will lessons/instruction continue? UPDATED 13 May 2020 


There will be no teaching or instruction that requires students to attend in person.

We urge educational institutions instead to carry out lessons where possible through the use of Skype and other online solutions. Practical challenges may also arise making it impossible to provide the required instruction. Some classes or subjects may therefore be postponed.

You must continue your studies and actively study at home in so far as it is possible.

If you as a student are in doubt about your situation, you should contact your educational institution

Should I participate in planned study trips as part of my education? Updated 13 May 2020


Your institution will advise you what that means for any planned study trips as part of your education, including potential postponement or cancellation of these trips. Your institution will refer to the latest travel advisories, as communicated on the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website.

If you as a student are in doubt about a particular planned study trip, you should contact your educational institution.

Have you a right to receive education even if you are sent home?


As a starting point, all students have the right to receive their education, Education institutions will provide teaching/lessons where possible (e.g. via Skype, video or other online tools) or reorganise teaching activities so that the students' education programme is not delayed.

What should you do if you become sick?


If you become sick and therefore cannot participate in learning activities in your own home, it is a question of a special circumstance and requires specific action. Questions from higher educational institutions regarding COVID-19 can be directed to: info-covid-19@ufm.dk

Exam and completion of education programme

Will my exam go ahead as planned?


If this extraordinary situation makes it impossible to hold an exam as planned, the individual institution will work to offer you an alternative form of examination (e.g. a replacement assignment or an online exam).

If the institution decides that it is impossible to replace the exam, they will schedule an extraordinary exam instead. Your institution will inform you further.

If you as a student are in doubt about your exam situation, you should contact your educational institution.

What happens if I as a student cannot complete my education within the maximum study period?


If the extraordinary situation leads to you being unable to complete your education programme within the fixed maximum study period, you will have the possibility to extend your study period, also in the situation of your maximum study period being exceeded. The institutions will manage this issue through the use of exemption competence in the area.


What should I do if I am a student participating in an internship? Updated 24 March 2020


If you are a student currently taking part in an internship, you should attend your place of work, unless instructed otherwise, and should follow their recommended advice.

During this period, there may be problems in completing the relevant educational activities, meeting with your supervisor, etc. But in the coming three weeks you are urged to carry out your internship work and contribute as best as possible. This is particularly the case for students in internships/clinical placements in the health sector and in other critical functions in the coming weeks.

For other students e.g. in health science education programmes, who are not in an internship/clinical placement during this period, but who want to contribute to the readiness level of the health system, there will be an opportunity for you to volunteer. Each individual Region will have a set point of contact. The Regions will communicate this to all relevant organisations and fora.

What rules apply to my internship as part of my education?


If this extraordinary situation results in your internship being disrupted, your institution will decide if your internship can be considered complete with the fixed learning goals based on the period of internship you have already completed. If this is the case, you can continue your education as planned.

If your internship cannot be considered complete, your institution will decide which vocational elements remain outstanding and inform you of these, including how the missing elements can be rectified (e.g. through a later internship period during your education). Thereby allowing you to continue your education as planned to the best possible extent.

We are aware that challenges with internships can mean that you cannot complete your education within the maximum study period. In this case, the extraordinary situation means that you will have the opportunity to extend your study period, even if the fixed study period has been exceeded.

If the extraordinary situation results in your internship period being cancelled, and your institution cannot offer another internship, the institution may arrange an alternative course which can replace your internship. Alternatively, the institution may decide to offer a subject or course, usually found later in your education programme with the aim of making room for the internship in its place. If the cancelled internship means that your maximum study period is exceeded, you will have the possibility of extending your study period.

If you as a student are in doubt about your internship, you should contact your educational institution.

What about education programmes where there are tests, interviews or other entrance exams? Updated 23 March 2020

Some educational institutions, where there is a requirement to attend in person as part of the quota 2 assessment,  are reorganising their quota 2 criteria so the assessment can be carried out remotely, or by postponing the planned attendance dates. Educational institutions are working on finding solutions, and will provide regular information about potential changes both directly to the applicant and via their websites

International students

Can international students enrolled at Danish educational institutions on a temporary permit, enter Denmark?

As part of the new travel restrictions, border controls have been introduced. Those arriving to Denmark who cannot prove to have a creditable reason for their journey, are being turned away at the border.

International students enrolled at a Danish educational institution, where teaching is currently not physically taking place at the institution ("the institution is closed") can expect that their entry to the country will be rejected, unless they have documentation to show Danish residency.

Institutions should thus advise international students who currently find themselves abroad, not to travel to Denmark until teaching recommences at the physical campus, unless they can prove that they have residency in Denmark.

If I as an international student in Denmark interrupt my study visit in Denmark, what will happen regarding my education programme? NEW question 18 March 2020

You should contact your educational institution where you are enrolled in your home country, with a view to the institution assessing what can be done to take your Danish study visit into account in your educational programme. It is your home educational institution that will help you with queries regarding consequences for your continued education in your homeland.

If I am an international student paying tuition fees and remain in Denmark, what consequence is there for my student residence permit if my teaching and exam is postponed? Updated June 2020


If your course of studies or exam is postponed to a later date, on which your student residence permit as a foreign student has expired, you must contact The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) for further information concerning the options for extending your residence permit.

Can I enter Denmark as an international student enrolled at a Danish educational institution? (updated 9 June)

You can enter Denmark if you are enrolled at an educational institution on the condition that the institution is open and teaching requires physical presence.

For updated information on entry into Denmark please visit the Danish Police's website about COVID-19: 

When can I enter Denmark as an international student? (New 6 July)

If you have a residence permit for studies in Denmark, you will be able to enter and reside in Denmark for the period of time your permit is valid.

If you are a citizen of a country where residence permits are not required you will be able to enter into Denmark immediately prior to commencing your studies.

Do I have to isolate myself or take a COVID-19 test to enter into Denmark? (New 11 August)

As a student, you are not required to take a COVID-19 test or required to isolate yourself to be allowed entry into Denmark. However, testing is offered at a number of locations including in connection with entry, for Danes and foreign travelers alike.

Study abroad

Can I go on a mobility period abroad? (New 6 July)

As a starting point, you should read the Ministry of Foreign Affairs travel advice for the country concerned:

Note that there may be other reasons than the COVID-19 pandemic for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to discourage all travel or all non-essential travel to a country.

Tourist travel is considered non-essential travel. On the other hand, mobility periods can be considered as essential travel. This is why you in principle can travel in the current situation, as long as both your sending and receiving education institutions permit it.

It is up to the individual student, in consultation with his/her education institution, to assess whether travel is essential. If you consider that your mobility period is essential travel, it is important that you also make a concrete and individual risk assessment of the stay in consultation with your education institution. This includes considerations for home travel assistance in the event of an alarming increase infection rates/virus reproductory rates and/or if local treatment capacity comes under severe pressure.

You should apply a precautionary principle to minimize the risk of being infected with coronavirus while abroad. You should therefore follow the Ministry of Foreign Affairs travel advice:

If you choose to travel to a country or territory where the Ministry of Foreign Affairs discourage non-essential travel, it is important that you have insurance coverage. It is recommended that you contact your insurance provider prior to the mobility period. They will also be able to advise on assistance in case of the need for emergency return travel.

This page will regularly be updated

last modified Nov 02, 2020